I have absolutely no competency with a camera, so this should be interesting.

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Gays on Gay Street


Saturday was National Coming Out Day for those that were unaware. The Knoxville Rainbow Coalition hosted a gay pride parade down Gay Street and a concert in Market Square.

I'm not gay, but I've had a ton of gay friends and I've been a strong supporter of gay rights for a long time. I usually get invited to these things by different groups because I've supported them so strongly in my columns. Anyway, on to the pics.

Market Square.

Getting ready to march.


Parade Pics.

PFLAG - Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays. I am a member.

A gay George W. Bush showed up to support the Democrats.

They call themselves the "Queer Fist Ninjas." I dunno, but they werent' half bad.

Of course, you can't have a gay pride march without the Baptists showing up. I like how they quote Romans 2:16 on their banner. Personally, I prefer Romans 2:1, "Wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself." You may not be able to tell from the pics, but none of them would let me take pictures with their face in them. I had to be sneaky. I guess its okay to condemn the heathens, just so long as there's no proof it was you doing it. Anyway, there were about twenty of em, unfortunately for them...

They were vastly outnumbered by the Unitarian Universalists and other Christian denominations like the Metropolitan Community Church, all of whom are very accepting of homosexuality. In all, I'd guess over 300 people were there representing the various churches. I dunno if you can read that sign on the posterboard, but it says "What JESUS said about homosexuality: _________" Exactly.

It was funny when they marched past the Baptists. The Baptists yelled at them and told 'em they were all going to hell. All the gay Christians did back was say "Jesus loves you."


One of my Sociology professors, Dr. Presser, came to support Amnesty International. She's the one pointing at me, and that's her partner beside her. She told me his name, but for the life of me I can't remember it. Sorry, Dr. P. He's got a cool beard though.

I was truly surprised at how many of the homosexual couples had children. It really amazes me the risks that they take and the things they suffer just to try to lead a normal life.

Anyway, that's about it for the march. I'll see you next time.

~Peace

1 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Whoa...there are gay people in Knoxville? You learn something new every day... :)

Good photos Jon!

5:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home